Wednesday, June 26, 2013

vegan-lite

In summer, I always seem to be cooking lots of vegetables. With all the farmer's markets, road-side stands and low grocery prices, I have been preparing kale, tomatoes and eggplant this past week. This blog is to display my vegan-love. Vance and I would have a hell of a time adhering to the vegan life-style (hello cheese...I love you), but I have great respect for my friends who do! These recipes are 'vegan-lite' because they have one dairy or protein in each. With a little adaption, I think my veges friends would enjoy.
kale salad
Finely shredded kale salad makes me feel like I am falling in love all over again. My work-friends (who are actually just friends, who I happen to work with) and I love the kale salad at Tavern, a local eatery we frequent for lunch. Jill nailed this recipe a few weeks ago and I gave it a whirl tonight.
1 bunch fresh kale, washed/dried and torn into small pieces
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 toasted nuts, crushed in the food processor (I used almonds)
1/3 cup EVOO
zest of a small lemon
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/3 cup finely shredded Parmesan
lots of S&P to taste
Place batches of torn kale in food processor and pulse until a fine shred. This took about 2 batches. Place kale in a large bowl. Assemble dressing (EVOO, lemon zest and juice) separately and whisk well. Add raisins and nuts to kale. Dress the salad and add Parmesan - toss very well and add S&P. If the salad seems too dry, add a bit of EVOO. The dressing will absorb into the kale so taste as you go! Oh jeez - it. is. so. good.
eggplant & white bean burger

1 eggplant
salt and pepper to taste
1 onion, diced
1-3 tablespoons EVOO
1/3 cup whole wheat seasoned bread crumbs
1 tablespoon flax seed (optional)
1 egg
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can canneloni beans rinsed and drained
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Peel about 1/2 half of the eggplant and slice into 1/4 inch pieces, transfer to a greased baking sheet. Drizzle eggplant with a bit EVOO and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Roast the eggplant for about 20 minutes, flipping halfway through. While the eggplant is roasting, dice onion and heat up a bit of EVOO in a pan over medium heat. Add the diced onion and cook for about 10 minutes, until softened. When the onion is done, add the eggplant, breadcrumbs, white beans and egg to your food processor and blend until smooth. Then add the onion, garlic and flax and blend until well combined. If necessary, stir the mixture as well. Chill for a minimum of an hour then assemble into patties. Baked, on greased pan, at 350 degrees for about 18 minutes (flipping half way through).
We enjoyed our burgers on a whole grain bun with cheddar cheese, lettuce and an heirloom tomato.
Enjoy these veggie specials!

No comments:

Post a Comment