Wednesday, October 10, 2012

fall on fall

Today was one of the first days that I busted out a full-on fall outfit (courtesy of Meredith who gave me the sweater I currently have on). Did you know that having a friend in the retail industry is pretty amazing? Mer has gifted me some amazing finds including a pair of Anthro jeans I wear all the time, Leifsdottir sandals and one of my favorite sweaters. Speaking of friends, I will be heading up to Pennsylvania on Monday, and I am so excited to see my girls in the Hershey area!
Back to fall on fall, butternut squash hash with a burnt orange wool sweater, equals fall on fall.
I know I have raved about hash before, but seriously, hash 'n eggs are such an easy (and healthy) dinner. For this dish you will need...
half of butternut squash, peeled and cubed (roughly 1.5 cups)
half of a red bell pepper, diced
small onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon dried sage
1/3 cup chicken or vegetable stock
2-3 tablespoons EVOO
3-4 eggs (depending on how hungry you are)
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a large saute pan, add garlic and onion. Saute until onion is translucent. Add cubed squash and cook for a few minutes. Add in stock, stir and place a lid over the pan. Allow to cook over medium/low heat for almost 10 minutes. Squash should be getting nice and soft. Add in diced bell pepper and sage, return lid and cook for a few minutes. Season with S&P. Ensure bell pepper is cooked through, but still crisp. Prepare eggs (Vance likes his sunny side up, I am an over medium kinda gal).
Assemble hash with eggs on top.
Butternut squash hash with eggs, side salad and a cheddar biscuit - yum!
I love butternut squash and, as it turns out, that is okay! We also love sweet potatoes, but when you look at the nutritional comparison, squash has sweet potatoes beat. Enjoy your squash!

Butternut Squash (about a cup) vs. Sweet Potato (cup)
Calories 63 vs 130
Fat (g) .1 vs 0.0
Carbs (g) 2.8 vs 4
Sugar (g) 3.1 vs 7



No comments:

Post a Comment