Saturday, January 21, 2012

A healthy (ish) spin on Chicken Parmesan

Tonight my mom and dad are having our former neighbors over for a meal of chicken parmesan. My mom's chicken parm is - amaaaazing! It is always juicey and has just the right balance of sauce and cheese. I find myself getting a little stressed with frying chicken on the stove top. There can be a lot of sizzling and popping and then I worry about my arms getting burned so I tonight I am going to make chicken parm that doesn't require the deep frying. A bit healthier and faster (but likely not a good as Mary Clark's).




Ingredients

  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 (3-ounces each) chicken cutlets
  • 1 cup tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
  • about a tablespoons cut into pieces

Directions

Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
Stir the oil and herbs in a small bowl to blend. Season with salt and pepper. Brush both sides of the cutlets with the herb oil. 
I used thin chicken cutlets; if you use breasts, I would suggest pounding them a bit.
Heat a heavy large oven-proof skillet over high heat. Add the cutlets and cook just until brown, about 2 minutes per side. Remove the skillet from the heat.
Spoon the sauce over and around the cutlets. Sprinkle mozzarella over each cutlet, then sprinkle Parmesan over each. Sprinkle the butter pieces atop the cutlets. Bake until the cheese melts and the chicken is cooked through, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Serve with orzo/parsley & salad. A quick and delicious dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment