Friday, July 22, 2011

Best of Intentions

During spring 2011, everything in my life changed. I left a great job in Washington, D.C., married my fiance, Vance, and moved to Nashville. I guess I shouldn't say everything changed - I kept my name, Maura C. Clark. As I anticipated this life overhaul, I was determined to utilize some online space to record the trials and tribulations, excitements and worries, and overall sequence of events of getting married and moving to Nashville. Alas - I have been here for over a month and now I will begin my blog! I had the best of intentions to start this weeks ago, but it is better late than never.
Since our arrival in mid-June, we have done a lot of eating. I find, as a wife (as evidenced by the photo above), I grocery shop and cook - all the time. Seriously?! I did not know this was going to happen. The nights of cereal and white wine dinners appear to be over. My husband is a first year surgery intern at Vanderbilt Medical Center (see Grey's Anatomy minus the sleeping around) so I feel an element of pressure to ensure that he eats a proper meal at least once a day. 
To back track here are a few recipes favorites from the last few weeks.

Chicken and Sweet Potato Curry 
  • YIELD: 7 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)
  • COURSE: Main Dishes
Ingredients
  • 2 teaspoons curry powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 1/2 cups vertically sliced onion
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled sweet potato
  • 3/4 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 cup frozen green peas
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Preparation
  • 1. Combine curry powder, coriander, turmeric, salt, black pepper, red pepper, and bay leaf in a small bowl.
  • 2. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Remove chicken from pan. Reduce heat to medium. Add onion to pan; cook 10 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Increase heat to medium-high; return chicken to pan. Cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Stir in ginger and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add curry powder mixture; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour. Stir in potato and chickpeas. Cook, uncovered, 30 minutes. Add peas; cook 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice. Discard bay leaf.

Easy Beef Stir Fry with Brown Rice
We love stir fry - it is such a good way to finish up leftover vegetables. Soy Vay Island Teriyaki is delicious!

Mixed Vegetable Pizza with Lox and Boursin Cheese

Last night, I used a pre-made honey wheat pizza crust, brushed the crust with olive oil and then spread some slightly melted Boursin cheese over it. I had sauteed eggplant, cherry tomatoes, red onion, and spinach in a little herbs de provence for pizza & OO, once the Boursin was spread, I laid smoked salmon lox on the pizza then the sauteed vegetables and topped with a little shredded mozzarella. Delicious and quick!

Lastly, here is a great marinade cookbook that I am working my way through.
There is a delicious sake and soy based Japanese marinade that keeps in the fridge for a few weeks and is perfect for marinating shrimp and beef kabobs. My brother, Bill, loved it when he was visiting us over the 
4th of July!



    No comments:

    Post a Comment