I adjusted the recipe from 6 servings to 4, and changed out a few elements to use the ingredients I had on hand.
- 1-1/3 cups uncooked jasmine rice
- 2-2/3 cups water
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- small onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon fresh ginger root, minced (I used jarred ginger)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- sliced fresh vegetables (I used red bell pepper, orange bell pepper, yellow squash and snow peas - about 1/2 cup of each)
- Follow directions on box for rice - prepare and set aside (covered to keep warm).
- In a bowl, mix the coconut milk, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, fish sauce, and red pepper flakes.
- In a skillet or wok, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Stir in the onion, ginger, and garlic, and cook until lightly browned. Mix in chicken strips, and cook about 3 minutes, until browned. Remove chicken and lightly saute vegetables. Return chicken to pan and stir in the coconut milk mixture. Continue cooking until sauce is reduced be about 1/3. Mix in green onions, and basil, and cook until heated through. Serve over the cooked rice.
|Serve with soy sauce on the table - yum!|
Shredded Zucchini (from the kitchen of Mary W. Clark)
- 5 zucchni (about small-medium sice)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 table spoons of butter
-Peel the zucchini about 75% (removing any bruises but keeping some of the dark green skin)
-Using a grater, shred the zucchini (about medium size, the same size you would use to shred cheese)
-Place shredded zucchini pile in a colainder and douse with salt liberally. This is to help draw the moisture out of the zucchini.
-Allow zucchini to drain and if you are pressed for time, wring some out with your hands
-In medium saute pan, saute butter and garlic
-Saute the zucchini over about medium-high heat for about 10 minutes, until the zucchini is soft
-Drain any excess water and serve!
Will report back on the chicken! Have a great Thursday!