Tuesday, August 16, 2011

What to do with all these vegetables?!

Good evening friends! Another night float for Vance means another night of cooking and watching a movie for me! Tonight I have Red Riding Hood and all this zucchini and yellow squash staring at me. In my face. All up in my grill. I start traveling for work this week so I need to use these veggies!

I improvised as I went, but the result was delicious! My zucchini cups are based on a recipe from Brown-eyed Baker. It is a zucchini bake that calls for Bisquick (I know...a little strange - a little Southern).


Here is the run down:
5 eggs, lightly beaten
½ cup vegetable oil

2 tablespoons heavy cream
½ cup grated sharp Asiago cheese

3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

½ teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ pepper
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 clove minced garlic
½ cup finely chopped red onion

2 cups Bisquick

3 cups thinly sliced zucchini and yellow squash (I used about 1 large zucchini and 2 small yellow squash
1 slice (doesn't have to be very big) ham


The goods.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 6 cup muffin pan and set aside. Cube the ham into small pieces and lightly saute on the stove top to draw out the moisture - set aside.
2. In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, oil, cream, cheese, parsley, salt, oregano, red pepper flakes and garlic. Whisk in the onion, and then the Bisquick. With a rubber spatula, gently stir in the sliced zucchini and squash, being careful not to break up the slices. Fold in the ham cubes. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cups.
Make sure the Bisquick powder is full incorporated.
3. Bake until puffed and golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool to warm room temperature before serving.

Voila! These are great for any meal - you could make smaller muffins and serve as an hors d'oeuvre.
The recipe made 8 large muffin cups. I believe these would freeze well. I am off to watch my movie, night all!

No comments:

Post a Comment