About 6 eggs (you will need 3 eggs yolks for the sauce)
1 stick of butter
tablespoon of lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon of dijon mustard
2 English muffins
4 oz salmon lox
half red bell pepper
3-4 tablespoons of capers
1. Sautee the sliced peppers and onions in a bit of EVOO until tender - set aside.
|I used red bell pepper and white onion, but you could use spinach, purple onion, strips of zucchini - anything!|
2. Make hollindaise sauce in blender (this is likely the most stressful part, but you can do it!):
• 3 egg yolks
• 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 1 dash hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco)
• 1/2 cup butter
In the container of a blender, combine the egg yolks, mustard, lemon juice and hot pepper sauce. Cover, and blend for about 5 seconds.Place the butter in a glass measuring cup. Heat butter in the microwave for about 1 minute, or until completely melted and hot. Set the blender on high speed, and pour the butter into the egg yolk mixture in a thin stream. It should thicken almost immediately. Blend for about another 45 seconds to ensure thickening. Keep the sauce warm until serving by placing the blender container in a pan of hot tap water.
3. Toast English muffins under broiler
4. Boil a large saute pan of water with about 2 tablespoons of vinegar (vinegar helps the eggs to keep their shape)
5. Once water begins to boil, delicately crack eggs into water – allow to boil for 3-5 minutes
6. While eggs cook, assemble muffins with salmon lox then peppers and onions, then capers.
7. Using a slatted spoon, remove eggs and DRAIN lightly on a paper towel.
8. Place eggs on muffins and top with hollandaise sauce. If you are concerned that the dish is not hot enough, you can place it in an oven (at about 400 degrees) for a few minutes to reheat the muffin. This may cook your eggs a bit more though so beware of your time.
|Sprinkle with parsley, add more capers or a bit of paprika and enjoy!|
This Bristol Westend Benny made for a delicious Saturday brunch at home!