Saturday, October 1, 2011

Change of plans.

As many of my friends and my mom know, I enjoy planning out our weekly meals. How dorky is that? I have started using my Outlook calendar to note what dish we are having on what day. This also helps me build my grocery list. Last night was supposed to be grilled vegetable wraps, but when I came home and looked at these sad whole wheat wraps and looked at my strapping handsome husband - I just couldn't do it. Running low on groceries as shopping day is Sunday, I took the vegetables I had and made vegetable-stuffed balsamic portabello mushroom caps with caesar salad. A much more fun Friday night meal!

Ingredients:
2 portabello mushroom caps
1 zucchini
1 tomato
1 medium onion or half a large
EVOO
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2-3 tablespoons herbs of your choice
2 cups spinach

To start, clean your portabello mushroom caps (remove stem and wipe with damp towel). Marinate for up to an hour in 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, 1 tablespoon EVOO, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, and about 2-3 tablespoons herbs of your choice (I used dried basil, Emeril Essence and a little black pepper).
While marinating, peel and cube 1 zucchini, about half of a large onion, half of a large tomato. Sautee in a drizzle of EVOO until soft. After vegetables and onions are tender, add about 2 cups of baby spinach and sautee until wilted.
Place mushroom caps on a baking sheet and assemble vegetable sautee inside each cap.
Bake for about 12 minutes at 375 degrees until caps are heated the whole way through. You could easily top this with some grated cheese as well, but I was serving it with caesar salad and we were hitting our Parmesan cheese limit.
These are fast, easy and delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment