- Diced/pulled turkey (leftovers from a roast work great)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 5 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups yellow onions, chopped (2 onions)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups medium-diced carrots, blanched for 2 minutes
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas (2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen small whole onions
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
- In a saucepan, heat the chicken stock and dissolve the bouillon cubes in the stock. In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter and saute the onions over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until translucent. Add the flour and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Add the hot chicken stock to the sauce. Simmer over low heat for 1 more minute, stirring, until thick. Add 2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and heavy cream. Add the turkey, carrots, peas, onions and parsley. Mix well.
|It the mix needs to be thickened, add a little more flour or some cornstarch in water.|
Pour the chicken mixture into ramekins and top with pie dough. I used store-bought pie dough. Brush with egg mixture (egg scrambled with a little water) top with a little S&P. Place in a preheated 375 oven for about 45 minutes to an hour.
I had a fair amount of leftover chicken filling that I served over noodles. The potpies are delicious - serve with a salad or vegetable.